David was recognized by God for being a man after his own heart.
David had great faith.
As David’s life rolled out, his heart was broken over and again.
Reasons why David had a broken heart:
- Saul never trusted him.
- His best friend Jonathon was killed.
- David is constantly attacked by enemies.
- David takes multiple wives, which goes against God’s created order.
- He becomes idle, and in his boredom, covets another man’s wife.
- He adds the sin of adultery when he sleeps with Bathsheba.
- He adds the sin of lying and eventually murder in dealing with Uriah.
- The 1st son with Bathsheba dies as a consequence to his sin.
- Later in life he fails to correct all of his son’s poor behavior. His sin of omission, leads to turmoil in his family until his death.
But because of David’s brokenness, we have:
- An example of repentance and forgiveness. (2 Samuel 12:13-14)
- The Psalms.
- The life and wisdom of King Solomon.
- Born from his line… Jesus.
Main Point: Even those who have at one time been righteous, yet have fallen to brokenness can be used for something extraordinary!