Abraham could have had someone else do all of these things, but he carried out his call from God himself.
Isaac: “Where is the lamb?”
Abraham: “God Himself will provide…”
Abraham was willing to obediently sacrifice his most treasured person in his life.
The angel of the LORD stopped his killing blow, and provided a substitute sacrifice. (Theophany)
This campfire story points us to Jesus.
Just like Abraham arranged everything for his son’s sacrifice, God arranged everything for His Son’s sacrifice.
- God chose the time and the place.
- God orchestrated his miraculous birth.
- God set him apart for a three-year mission.
- God allowed his Son to be arrested, bound and persecuted.
- God turned away for each blow of the hammer.
Main Point: In both stories, God provided an alternate sacrifice.
What is God calling you to obediently sacrifice for Him today?