John begins his Encounter with Jesus by being in an encounter with the Holy Spirit.
Ephesus – You have gotten into a rut.
Smyrna – Don’t lose heart!
Pergamum – Stop compromising!
Thyatira – Stop being an adulterous church!
Sardis – You guys are dead!
Philadelphia – You guys…I love you guys!
Laodicea – You guys are lukewarm!
Five points for us to remember: We have to…
- avoid getting into a rut.
- make sure we don’t compromise God’s Word.
- protect doctrine and refuse immorality.
- let the Holy Spirit work through us.
- be passionate about our faith.
Main Point: We do all of the above by having regular, meaningful, spiritual Encounters with Jesus!