Matthew 1:1-2; Genesis 45; John 17:23; Ephesians 4:1-3
The first part of the Family Tree of Jesus mentioned by Matthew is the Patriarchs.
A patriarch is defined as a founder of something, or the male head of a family or tribe.
Each of the patriarchal families were defined by an element that mirrors humanity’s relationship with God.
- Abraham – Faith (Abraham’s story Genesis 12-25)
- Isaac – Deceit (Isaac’s story Genesis 21-28)
- Jacob – Splintered (Jacob’s story Genesis 28-36)
- Judah/Joseph – Family Reunited (12 Sons of Jacob Genesis 37-50)
Main Point: Jesus reunites our splintered lives to God and brings our family together as one.
- The reunion can only happen when we repent and surrender to Jesus Christ as LORD and Savior!