Jesus says: Christians – Be careful – worship is for God alone.
- Give discretely. It’s between us and God.
- Pray conversationally. God doesn’t need us to use a thesaurus.
- Fast joyfully. When we sacrifice for God keep it to ourselves.
When we draw attention to ourselves when we worship we have already received everything God is going to give us.
What Motivates Our Worship? Mark if it applies
- Someone sees us and is impressed with us. _____
- To feel good about ourselves. _____
- To check another thing off our to do list. _____
- To please our family. _____
- To see our friends. _____
- To experience an event. _____
- To find a spouse. _____
- To find clients for our business. _____
- To have a platform for our abilities (musician/speaker/etc) _____
- To get right with God. _____
- To hear a popular preacher and have your itch scratched. _____
MAIN POINT: Our highest motivation for worship should be to love and please an audience of One.
- Our motives matter to God.
- Our motives are known by God.
- Higher motives can draw others to God.
Next Week: Higher Treasures: Matthew 6:19-34