Unclean did not necessarily mean dirty – it was more about the concept of spiritual purity.
The Pharisees had:
- Elevated tradition over law.
- Elevated human wisdom over God’s wisdom.
- Elevated human ways over God’s ways.
Isaiah 29:13-16 – Isaiah was not only prophetic about traditionalism chosen over God’s law, but humanity itself thinking we know better than God.
We become hypocrites when:
- We choose reputation over character
- We choose religion over relationship
- We emphasize our virtues and other’s sins
Sin comes from inside us, it is not something we consume.
Being Pharisaic is not unheard of in the modern church, we can be just as dead in our traditions and legalistic religiosity.
Simple Truth: Satan can defeat us through the back door of legalism and religion. We must remember to stay focused on truth and relationship with Jesus!