What we know about Simon:
- Mentioned in three of four gospels (Luke 23, Matthew 27, Mark15)
- Father of Alexander and Rufus
- He was from Cyrene – Northern Africa
- He was in Jerusalem for the Passover so he was Jewish.
Simon only served Jesus because he was forced.
What we know about the women:
- They were a nameless group.
- They are only mentioned in Luke.
- They were Jewish.
- Jesus statement to them was correction and warning, not encouragement.
These women mourning Jesus were not authentic disciples.
Main Point: We have to desire a relationship with Jesus and it has to be authentic.
The answer to the question “Who Am I?” in week two should be:
- I am an authentic and faithful disciple of Jesus.